- Gulbarga district has undergone Jurisdictional changes after 2001 Census as new district Yadgir was created by bifurcating three taluks viz., Shahpur, Shorapur and Yadgir from the erstwhile Gulbarga district.
- Gulbarga is the second largest district in the state with the total area of 10954 sq. km
- Gulbarga district with a total population of 25, 66,326 stands at 5th place in the State.
- The district has a density of 234 and it holds the 20th place in the State.
- Gulbarga district accounts for 4.2 percent of the total population of the State and holds the 5th rank in the State.
- With the decadal growth rate of 18.0 percent, it ranks 5th in the State in terms of decadal growth rate.
- The district with a Sex ratio of 971 holds 24th rank in the State.
- The district with a Sex ratio of 943 among the child population in the agegroup 0-6 holds the 25th rank in the State.
- The proportion of child population (0-6 age-group) is 14.2 percent in the district and holds the 6th rank in the State.
- The district has the fourth lowest literacy rate of 64.9 percent in the State.
- The male literacy rate in the district is 74.4 percent and the female literacy rate is 55.1 percent
- The Scheduled Caste population contributes 25.3 percent to the total population of the district which is the third highest in the state.
- The Scheduled Tribe population contributes 2.5 percent to the total population of the district and holds 24th rank in the state
- The district has registered a work participation of 42.4 percent, third lowest in the State
- The work participation rates for Male and Female population are 52.2 and 32.2 respectively in the district.
- Among the total workers in the district 77.7 percent are Main workers and 22.3 percent are Marginal workers.
- Of the total work force of the district, 58.5 percent are engaged in Agricultural sector i.e. Cultivators (20.3 percent) and Agricultural Labourers (38.2 percent).
- Agricultural Labourers constitute 38.2 percent of the total workers in the district and the district holds 8th rank in the State.
- In the district 39.2 percent are Other workers and 2.4 percent of the total workers are engaged in Household Industry.
- About 57.6 percent of the total population in the district is non-workers, third highest in the state.
- Gulbarga District has the 918 number of villages and 10 Statutory Towns and 1 Census Town.
Source : Census 2011
|Area||10,954 Sq Km|
|No. of Revenue Disivions||2|
|No. of erstwhile Blocks /Taluks||7|
|No of Towns||11|
|No of GramPanchayats||264|
|No of Villages||918|
|No of Households||71,601|